Carney Badley Spellman’s Washington state and Seattle real estate attorneys engage in a broad range of real estate transactions, claims resolution and litigation representing purchasers and sellers, developers, property owners and managers, landlords and tenants, title companies and lenders. Our attorneys assist with all facets of real estate development and ownership, including sales and acquisitions, loan structuring, capital formation and planning, workouts, leasing, land use and development issues and litigation.
Real Estate News
Our firm frequently negotiates leases for both landlords and tenants in various contexts and industries, and lately I have seen a few interesting trends in one of the most often overlooked provisions of a lease—the renewal options, and specifically the methods for determining fair market rent for renewal periods. See the article: Lease Option Terms—Are Worth Paying Attention To
Real Estate Seminars
Carney attorneys regularly speak at seminars focused on issues related to the local real estate market. Some recent presentations include the following topics:
- “Spec Leasing and New Construction, Commercial Real Estate Leases Seminar,” LSI, December 2015 (John McDowall)
- “Construction Services in the Pacific Northwest, Association for Corporate Growth,” November 2015 (John McDowall)
- Purchase and Sales: Carney attorneys represent purchasers and sellers in acquisitions, dispositions, purchase options and related transactions regarding both developed and undeveloped properties, commercial buildings, mixed-use projects, and multi-family, including feasibility analysis and due diligence for existing or future projects.
- Property Management: Our attorneys represent owners and property managers regarding leasing issues, tenant disputes, risk management issues, tax planning, employment issues and insurance coverage issues.
Condominiums: Carney Badley Spellman attorneys have experience drafting and reviewing condominium declarations, offering statements, covenants, conditions, restrictions and bylaws. We also represent homeowners associations (HOAs) in construction defect claims, and other disputes, and have significant experience with all phases of multi-family
- Loan Agreements and Capital Formation: Our attorneys represent borrowers and lenders on real estate financings, land and development loans, construction loans, refinancing, loan restructuring and workouts. We also represent closely held companies and investors with regard to capital formation, entity formation, and planning and financing purchases or developments
- Structuring and Tax Planning: Carney Badley Spellman attorneys counsel clients regarding the formal ownership of property, including formation of limited liability companies, general and limited partnerships, tenancy-in-common (TIC) agreements, and single purpose entities. We team with our tax attorneys to address federal, state and local tax issues for the acquisition and disposition of property, 1031 Exchanges, tax audits, tax appeals and related matters
Types of Business Projects
- We act as general counsel for several local port districts and have represented them on many transactions, including the acquisition and development of real estate, as well as ongoing counsel regarding financing and local land use and zoning issues. We have also handled litigation regarding lease disputes and adverse possession for them
- We are general real estate counsel for a Kent-valley industrial property developer and have represented them on several land acquisitions, facilities management, project leasing and commercial litigation
- We represented a large Canadian developer in lease and construction contract negotiations with a tenant for the construction of a 165,000 square foot build to suit building in Bellevue, and we handle all other leasing, licensing and related contract work for the several buildings on their corporate campus. We also handle lease, contract and litigation matters for their other properties in downtown Seattle and Bellevue
- We act as construction counsel for a large developer that has been actively involved in the development of several South Lake Union properties. We also have been involved in drafting and negotiating the development and construction documents on their behalf in the role as developer for a local municipality
- We represented a local public hospital district in a complex and unique long term lease of a hospital and its related medical facilities to a private health care operator as well as disposition of other assets. We have also represented another local private health care operator on several construction and redevelopment projects throughout their hospital system
- We have represented a worldwide cement manufacturer with several acquisitions including their plant production facility as well as the sale of one of their operations to the WSDOT
- We represent multiple local and regional multiple owners/developers and their various entities in connection with their shopping centers and retail malls, including leasing efforts, lease disputes, redevelopment, and both the sale and purchase of several properties
- We represent several national and local owners and developers on property management issues and on tenant and real estate litigation matters at several properties throughout the greater Seattle area
- We have represented a local bridge/mezzanine lender on several loan transactions and financings of multiple office, retail and multi-family properties in several states, with total loan value exceeding $100 million
Development and Construction Experience
- Design and Construction: Our real estate group frequently teams with our construction group to represent developers, owners, architects, engineers and contractors regarding contract negotiation and procurement, bids, performance bonds, claim prosecution and defending against liens on a wide range of development and construction projects.
- Land Use: Carney attorneys have significant experience with a broad range of land use and planning issues facing any developer, including permits, zoning, compliance with environmental and other regulations, and drafting and negotiating easements, covenants, boundaries, licenses and use agreements
Carney Badley Spellman attorneys have significant experience with litigation and dispute resolution involving real estate transactions, property purchases and developments, construction projects, leases, landlord-tenant disputes, title disputes, easement and boundary disputes, adverse possession, timber trespass, condemnation, property damages, tax disputes condominium disputes, construction defects, construction liens and insurance coverage issues.
Carney Badley Spellman is a Seattle Washington law firm that offers legal services to a diverse clientele in the U.S. and internationally. Clients range from startups to closely-held businesses to Fortune 500 companies. Our services include Real Estate, Construction and Business Law, and Litigation.
Real Estate Attorneys
- David W. Bever, Co-Chair
- John R. McDowall, Co-Chair
- John C. Dippold
- Kenneth W. Hart
- George C. Mastrodonato
- Daniel I. Neuman
- Daniel W. Unti
- Scott R. Weaver
- Robert J. Weber